Retired CIW Exams
CIW certifications do not expire. Once CIW certified, always CIW certified. However, we do retire exams, generally when we release an updated version of the exam. So we want to inform you about our policies and latest activities.
A CIW exam may be retired for various reasons, including release of new skills objectives, changes to related certification programs, or our determination that a job role or technology has become obsolete, based on input from the IT industry.
The following CIW exams are retired as of December 31, 2013:
- CIW Web Foundations Associate exam 1D0-510
- CIW Internet Business Associate exam 1D0-51A
- CIW Site Development Associate exam 1D0-51B
- CIW Network Technology Associate exam 1D0-51C
The following CIW exams are retired as of June 30, 2011:
- CIW Application Developer exam 1D0-430
- CIW Enterprise Specialist exam 1D0-442
- CIW Server Administrator exam 1D0-450
- CIW Internetworking Professional exam 1D0-460
- CIW Security Professional exam 1D0-470*
The following certifications will no longer be awarded as of June 30, 2011:
- CIW Associate
- CIW Associate Design Specialist
- CIW Professional
- CIW Security Analyst*
- Master CIW Designer
- Master CIW Administrator
- Master CIW Web Site Manager
- Master CIW Enterprise Developer
- Grand Master CIW Developer
* CIW Security Professional exam 1D0-570 is available in China and Taiwan only. This exam will remain live until further notice. Candidates in China and Taiwan who earn a passing score on this exam and meet all other requirements will continue to earn the CIW Security Analyst certification until further notice.
Note that retirement of a certification track simply means that CIW will no longer be awarding these certifications in the future. However, these CIW certifications that were awarded in the past still hold their value as achievements in the technologies that were current at the time awarded. Once CIW certified, always CIW certified. Whether you choose to re-certify with newer CIW exam versions is your decision and based upon the needs of your current job or your career path.
Older CIW exams that have been retired for some time include the following:
- CIW Foundations v4 exam 1D0-410 (retired January 31, 2005)
- CIW Site Designer v4 exam 1D0-420 (retired June 30, 2006)
- CIW E-Commerce Designer v4 exam 1D0-425 (retired June 30, 2006)
- CIW Administrator for Microsoft and Novell Professionals exam 1D0-475 (retired October 15, 2004)
- Master CIW Administrator for Intel Professionals exam 1D0-476 (retired April 1, 2002)
Once retired, an exam is no longer available at testing centers, although in some cases candidates can still apply credit for a retired exam version toward a multi-exam certification (while such certifications are still offered). CIW provides at least six months' prior notice for retirement of any CIW exam so that interested candidates have time to prepare and take the exam while it is still available. You can find information about retirement status for a particular exam by visiting that exam's certification information page. For example, if you are interested in the latest information about the exams for the CIW Internet Business Associate certification, consult that particular page.
Exam Versions and CIW Certification Eligibility
Candidates should understand the difference between an exam (a multiple-choice test covering one area of subject matter) and a certification (a status designation that may be earned by passing one or multiple exams). Note that several CIW certification awards require the candidate to take and pass two or more CIW exams.
Candidates who are pursuing any multi-exam certification awards (such as CIW Web Development Professional) should verify the version of each required CIW exam they take. Eligibility of a specific exam toward any certification track is dependent on the given exam's most current version at the time that the candidate completes all requirements for the certification track. A passing score on a CIW exam that is one version older than the most current live version of that exam (at the time of completion of all required exams) will be accepted as contributing toward a multi-exam CIW certification award. However, an exam that is two versions older than the most current live version of that exam (at the time of completion of all required exams) is not eligible toward a multi-exam CIW certification award.
CIW Certified Instructor (CI) Exam Requirements
CIW Certified Instructors (CIs) are required to pass the most current exam before teaching the corresponding CIW course.
If You Are Preparing to Take an Exam
If you are preparing independently to take a CIW exam, you should verify that your CIW courseware titles and versions are recent and correspond with the current CIW exams and certifications. For information about current courseware versions, visit the page for the specific certification you are pursuing. For example, if you are interested in the latest information about the courseware and exams associated with the CIW Internet Business Associate certification, consult that particular page.
CIW exam-preparation courses offered by ATPs (Authorized Training Partners) and AAPs (Authorized Academic Partners) provide current materials and training that cover the current CIW exam objectives.